The IAMC-CNR is near the small village of Marina di Torregrande, centre-west of Sardinia (western Mediterranean). Marina di Torregrande, or simply Torregrande, is approximately 10 km away from Oristano. A local bus service is available between Torregrande and Oristano.
By Air Plane
The closest airport is Cagliari (see picture).
The airport in Cagliari is provided of the railway station Elmas Aeroporto, 10 minutes by walk. Verify on the Trenitalia website (click on All trains) the trains from/to Oristano. Furthermore a shuttle bus (open Elmas, line 160; tel. +39.070.4098324) connects the Cagliari-Elmas airport to the Cagliari central train station (AUTOSTAZIONE ARST; about 10′ trip). Buses leave from floor “arrivals”, right side. On the platform there’s blue&white panel of ARST. A taxi from the airport to the railway station costs approximately EUR 25,00 and the trip takes about 10′. Cagliari airport is connected to Oristano also by a night coach service Volobus by Fara Viaggi leaving at 23:30. The trip takes about 70′. Buses leave from outside the airport Arrivals terminal, right side, panel FARA VIAGGI. Tickets can be purchased onboard at the same cost as railway tickets.
Please check from airports websites all destinations. Some are seasonal.
As well as Ryanair and Easyjet, there are several low cost companies connecting Sardinia with continental Europe through direct flights (some only in summer), like:
TUIfly, TRANSAVIA, AIR BERLIN, BRUSSELS AIRLINES.
Please check from airports website new destinations.
At the airports the main car rental agencies are present. From the main airports and harbours follow direction Cagliari – Oristano (coming from north Sardinia) or Sassari – Oristano (coming from south Sardinia) along SS131. Exit in Oristano north and follow Cabras – Torregrande. Once in Torregrande follow Porto Turistico. Check the road here.
ATTENTION: coming from Cagliari airport, drive straight for about 2 km to take the Highway SS131, direction SASSARI-ORISTANO.
Oristano can be reached in about 90 minutes by train from Cagliari.
From Olbia and Sassari it keeps a longer time and there are only a few trains with some changes. Taxi service in Oristano (not available at night; piazza Roma & railway station): tel. +39.0783.70280-74328
You can find updated train information on www.trenitalia.com (click on All trains). The railway station at the airport in Cagliari is Elmas Aeroporto.
Ferries connect (check if only in summer):
- Genova with Porto Torres, Olbia or Palau (N Sardinia)
- La Spezia with Olbia (only fast ferries)
- Livorno or Piombino with Olbia, Golfo Aranci (N Olbia), Arbatax (SE Sardinia)
- Civitavecchia (Rome) with Olbia or Golfo Aranci, Cagliari (S Sardinia) or Arbatax
- Napoli with Cagliari or Palau
- Palermo/Trapani with Cagliari
- Marseilles or Toulon with Porto Torres
(up to Table of Contents)
Connection Oristano-Torregrande and vice versa (blue line; Bus timetable->LINEA AZZURRA ESTIVA; in Italian)
Tickets at tobacconists and kiosks.
Recommended hotels & campings in Oristano/Cagliari:
1. camping village Spinnaker **** Località Marina di Torre Grande, strada Torre Grande – Pontile, Oristano, Tel. summer +39.0783.22074 fax +39.0783.22071, Tel. winter +39.347.3318641 +39.0783.300176 fax +39.0783.216507, with bungalows and mobilhouses
1. Mistral 2 Hotel **** via XX Settembre; Tel.+39.0783.210389 Fax +39.0783.211000
2. Mariano IV Palace Hotel (ex I.S.A. Hotel) **** Piazza Mariano, 50; Tel./Fax +39.0783.360101 (presso una fermata del Volobus, collegamento aeroporto di Cagliari-Oristano e vic.)
3. Villa delle Rose *** Piazza Italia, 5; Tel/Fax +39.0783.310101-310117
4. Hotel Mistral *** via Martiri di Belfiore; Tel. +39.0783.212505/506 Fax +39.0783.210058
5. B&B Eleonora Piazza Eleonora D’Arborea 12; Tel +39.0783.70435 Cell. +39.3474817976
6. Hotel Regina d’Arborea Piazza Eleonora D’Arborea 4; Tel +39.0783.302101
Cagliari (tutti gli hotel sono a poche centinaia di metri dalla Stazione Centrale o dall’AUTOSTAZIONE ARST dei bus)
(up to Table of Contents)